Monday, July 24, 2017

Back to school


It's that time of year again!  Time to get the kids ready to go back to school.  Show of hands who is ready  ✋✋  I know for sure I am ready.  This year I have a second year preschooler, third grade, and sixth grader.   Now my sixth grader is the one with the biggest adjustment.

In our school district sixth grade you move to the Jr. High, have lockers with combination locks on them, and change classrooms.  I have come across some ideas to help our littles transition and wanted to share.

One big thing is how to use a combination lock.  I remember learning how to do this and it can be frustrating so I have found some information to help.  So run to Dollar General or somewhere close and just get a cheap combination lock for them to use to practice with.

Her is a great video I came across


And here is a great graphic



Another big step is having a schedule to follow and remembering it.  You need to not only remember it but be sure you have your books and supplies for that class.  It can be a hassle at first to dig out your schedule every time you go to your locker but I found an awesome way to put it on your locker door and make it so that you can rearrange if it changes:


Popsicle sticks!!  You can decorate the sticks by coloring, painting, or using decorative tape.  Each stick is a class and room number and then put magnets on the back.  Tada!!  Open your door and there is your schedule.


 The next thing I came across when searching around was help remembering passwords.   I know my elementary school kid has like 4 passwords to use in school!!!!!  I know I Have a hard time remembering mine so I can't imagine with everything they have to remember it being difficult to remember.  So I found this idea:


Simple, cute, and easy.  They can stash this in their backpack and if they need it, it's there.

I found another cute idea that I think I am going to do for my step daughter as well.  Its a school survival kit.  Now I found some different ones but you need to be sure to check your schools policy on carrying Tylenol and such with them.  Most schools do not allow this. Here are a couple ideas that I am going to run with:



Basic idea is a cute little bag or container.  I have seen an altoid container used and that would be more up the alley of what a boy would want ;).  Place random things that they may need during the day.  Lotion, chapstick, wet wipe, sanitary things for girls ;), deodorant, band aids, hair ties or bobby pins, kleenex, and hand sanitizer.  I know our school is a gum free zone.  So be sure to check on gum or mints things of those nature as well.

Anything to help our kids feel a little more comfortable and less stressed I am all for it.  Do you have any other ideas let us know.  Like this blog click the follow button for more great blogs  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment