Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cleaning with Essential Oils

So yesterday on my facebook page I posted some graphics for cleaning with essential oils.


Today I am going to go in depth as to how I use essential oils in my laundry.  With all the sensitive skin and allergies in my house we can not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.  We also have to be careful on the laundry detergent.  Not just the kids but I will bust out into hives if we get into the wrong thing.

Not only has switching from store bough to homemade saved our skin it has saved our pocket book.  I can make a batch of laundry detergent for around $12 and it lasts me upwards of 6 months!!!!!!

Here is my Homemade Laundry Detergent recipe:

1 (4 pounds) box of Borax
1 (3 pound) box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Suds
1 (3 pound) container of Oxi Clean  (I use the Oxi Clean Free it has no perfumes or dyes)
1(4 pound) box of Baking Soda

Mix this all together and store in an airtight container.  I have one pic tub I mix in and store then a smaller one I scoop into and set by the dishwasher.  This is safe for HE machines.  All it takes is 1 TBSP per load.  If it is extra dirty you can add 2.  It is a concentrated mix so that is why it takes just a little.

Next up DIY Fabric Softner


This recipe is not specific it all depends on how much you want to mix up.

I typically take 1/2 gallon of white vinegar
1 TBSP approx. of rubbing alcohol
30 drops of your favorite essential oil

The rubbing alcohol helps the oil mix with the vinegar ;)


DIY Scent Crystals

Depending on your container size

Take half baking soda and half epsom salt and mix then add your favorite oils to that mixture.   Add a scoop to the laundry when washed.


No to take this even further you can make or buy wool dryer balls for the dryer.  Not only do these help speed drying time by keeping the laundry fluffed and separated you can also add drops of your favorite oil to these as well ;) I have started to make my own


Any questions feel free to message me or email me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment